[PD-dev] ui development / desiredata?

chun at goto10.org chun at goto10.org
Sat Jan 26 05:40:55 CET 2008

Hi all:

> is desiredata still alive? i posted a couple of messages about trying to
> get an OSX version from SVN compiling a month or two ago and never got any
> replies..

DesireData has been in hibernation, let's say;) but still alive, at least
i hope. hum, i didn't see your messages, i guess you have subscribed to
the list? also, DesireData don't have its own SVN, its part of PD's CVS.

a while ago (8 months or so) someone helped us to to get it going on OSX,
but i didn't get to test out fully how well or badly it worked on OSX:/

> otherwise, what's the status on UI development? if i was to just dive
> headfirst and try and fix some of the things that have been bugging me
> over
> the last week, is that at all useful or helpful? or is there someone i
> should talk to first?
>
> i haven't been involved in development of any open source projects before,
> and i guess i'm just not sure what the procedure normally is.
>
> in particular (i'm running Miller's 0.40-2 on OSX 10.4):
> - i'd like to bring in the multiple-level undo code from dd, or implement
> something similar

AFAIK, multiple undo/redo is partially implemented in DesireData, at least
the command/action histories and so.

> - there seem to be some OSX-specific issues around sub-windows switching
> between PD windows - apple-` doesn't switch between PD sub-windows like it
> should. this could also be a Tcl/Tk issue.
> - there are consistent problems with populating the Window menu
> - the scrollbar down arrow is 95% hidden on the main Pd window, so
> scrolling messages down involves clicking a two-pixel-high strip, which is
> really hard
> - i'd like to put a scrollbar on the path preferences, so more than 10
> lines can fit
> - mouse cursor alignment over the outlet 'plugs' on objects is bloody
> frustrating for new users (i've spent the week watching one) and it's just
> an offset issue i think
> - preserving newlines in comments! i don't know how possible this is (how
> tied comments are to Pd's core messaging system) but i'd love to be able
> have multi-paragraph documentation with one comment object
> - occasionally when switching into a sub-window the mouse x offset is
> completely munted, so Tcl/Tk thinks the mouse is way over from where it
> should be
> - other things i can't think of right now
>
> i suppose what i'm really asking is - if i went ahead and spent a week
> fixing all the UI things that really bugged me, assuming my code wasn't
> really stupid or ugly or bad, what's the chances my changes would make it
> out into the world, and so be useful for people who aren't me?

you are more than welcome to contribute to DesireData of course, though i
can't really say when dd as a project will reach to the user level. but
the more people helping out, the closer it will get there, i guess.

on the other hand, i will be just as happy to see these changes/features
in Pd mainline.

if you are interested in dd, the easiest way to get hold of either matju
or me will be on the irc, we are at the #desiredata channel on freenode,
same as where #dataflow is. or maybe you have already visited there?

hope this helps and looking forward to hear from you.

cheers

chun