[PD-dev] sms pd external?

geiger at xdv.org geiger at xdv.org
Sun Jan 27 18:01:50 CET 2008

Quoting Rich E <reakinator at gmail.com>:

> Hi Gunter Geiger, pd devs,
>
> I have recently begun to write an external for SMS synthesis, by basically
> porting the command line tool Xavier Serra wrote within the original SMS
> code (found at http://www.iua.upf.es/~sms/software/Old-SMS-for-NextStep.zip).
> I was talking to Xavier about this and he mentioned that you almost got an
> external working with sms.. Before I did too much work, I figured I would
> ask to see what types of problems you ran into, or if you have any
> suggestions.

Hi,

I have part of the SMS process implemented, but not as a single external
but as a collection of externals for generation of windows, peak
detection, interpolation, FFT resynthesis. These are glued together
with standard
pd objects.
I sort of got stuck trying to figure out how to use the extracted data in
a meaningful way inside pd.

So, after all,it might be a better approach to do it as a single external and
program your transformations in C/C++. So maybe the best bet would be
to have a
base SMS analysis/synthesis engine and do an external for each effect that
you want to implement with it.

Gunter