[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jan 29 00:03:53 CET 2008

On Jan 28, 2008, at 1:12 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 2008, at 3:39 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>> It sounds like we have the exact same idea of custom distros.
>> For  me, Pd-extended is a specific distro that includes a wide
>> range of  things that is intended to be the same on all platforms,
>> like how  Debian is the same on all the different CPUs/platforms.
>> What I am  describing is a common build system that can be used to
>> make any  distro, from pd-extended to a pd-application that you
>> describe.
>
> what i mean by pd-application is centered around the application
> rather than pd: the app just happens to be written in Pd and comes
> with externals as needed.
> an example for such an application is iem's CUBEmixer
> (https://iem.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/iem/spatialization/
> CUBEmixer/trunk)

That's what I am talking about as well, I've started to do some work
to support this kind of distro with the embedded preferences stuff.

>>> put it into cvsroot/pure-data/configure.in, but leave out pd/
>>> src/  and the kernel-configuration.
>> I don't understand the objection to using a directory called
>> "packages".  How is that any different than "externals"?  I don't
>
> i have no objections to using a directory called "packages".
> i was only objecting to put every single configuration into pd/src/
> configure.in

Yes, "every single" is not a good idea, but anything that Pd might
use should be handled there and then shared to the externals.

>> limits.  I am open to suggestions to improvements, but "it is
>> bad"  isn't helpful or constructive.
>
> pd/src/configure.in is the configuration of pd-core (vanilla,...)
> imho, it is not the place for the configuration of (e.g.) zexy.

I think that Asterisk could provide a good model with its
"applications" and other plugins.  While many of them are contributed
from others, they are all options in the ./configure and "make
menuconfig" system.

----

                             kill your television