[PD-dev] DesireData

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Feb 7 22:42:10 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> When looking at a file, say pd/src/s_file.c, then there are be dd-
>>> specific commits in the history, that's what I mean.
>> That's been mostly over for a while. Most changes in DesireData in
>> the past year were in merged files with a new name... for example,
>> m_*.c became a new file named kernel.c. Most d_*.c are now
>> builtins_dsp.c, most x_*.c are now builtins.c, etc. Just like
>> desire.c was g_*.c since mid-2005. Some files are still not renamed
>> nor merged, mostly s_*.c.
>
> This is a good example of why dd shouldn't be a branch of pd.  If you
> are introducing new files that are never intended to be included in
> pd/src, then it just gets messy having those extra non-pd files in
> the repository while providing no benefit that I can think of.

there are no branches in subversion. there are directories.
there is no difference in the logfiles, whether dd is /desiredata/pd or
/trunk/desiredata or whatever.
logs do not interfere. they are bound to an object and not to a file.
2 objects can share part of the log, when object-2 was _copied_ ("svn
copy") from object-1; they will only share the log to the point when
there ways departed.

mfgasdr-.
IOhannes