[PD-dev] DesireData

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:43:55 CET 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 1:35 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> >> When looking at a file, say pd/src/s_file.c, then there are be dd-
> >> specific commits in the history, that's what I mean.
> >
> > That's been mostly over for a while. Most changes in DesireData in
> > the past year were in merged files with a new name... for example,
> > m_*.c became a new file named kernel.c. Most d_*.c are now
> > builtins_dsp.c, most x_*.c are now builtins.c, etc. Just like
> > desire.c was g_*.c since mid-2005. Some files are still not renamed
> > nor merged, mostly s_*.c.
>
> This is a good example of why dd shouldn't be a branch of pd.  If you
> are introducing new files that are never intended to be included in
> pd/src, then it just gets messy having those extra non-pd files in
> the repository while providing no benefit that I can think of.

Now I'm very confused; perhaps it is because I have never used CVS.
How are these files any different from the many "non-pd" files you'll
find in the hundreds of directories in "externals"?  It seems your
concern is that DD is going to somehow "pollute" the purity of the
trunk, but I'm assuring you that in SVN this is not the case in any
way.  "Branches" (which, like everything, are just directories) are
entirely independent entities.  You'll no more see DD files or logs or
anything from /desiredata/pd/src in /trunk/pd/src than you will see,
say /trunk/externals/zexy files in /trunk/pd/src