[PD-dev] 'svn move' candidates

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Feb 8 00:11:03 CET 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 4:37 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>>> How does /branches/discontinued work?  that sounds like a good
>>> choice
>>> for Framestein.
>> well, nothing special; it is a folder where discontinued projects
>> can be
>> moved to, so they don't fill up the "trunk".
>> the folder could also be called "deprecated" (but this is so
>> negative)
>
> Discontinued projects and deprecated projects are not the same. As
> an excellent example, the GZIP project was mostly left
> "undeveloped" for over 10 years. So what? there was no need to
> release anything. From the moment it stopped being developed until
> the next bugfix, its popularity increased perhaps 100-fold or 1000-
> fold.
>
> If an external/extension/module is perfect as it is, there's no
> reason to change it, and it can be as discontinued as you want,
> it's still working.
>
> I agree that Framestein seems to have fallen out of fashion, but
> "discontinued" is not the criterion of exclusion that you are
> looking for.

I agree that "discontinued" is not a good word.  I think "deprecated"
is because it is something that someone does.  I think we should
deprecate Framestein.  It hasn't been touched in years, there are
better things that replace it, and it probably doesn't even work with
current versions of Pd.

>>> "extensions" was meant for GUI extensions like xgui and gripd.
>>> AFAIK,
>>> "supercollider" is an external for interfacing to SuperCollider
>>> with Pd.
>> i did not know that "extensions" was GUI related...
>
> I don't think that it was meant for GUI at all. It happened to
> collect that because the name "extensions" is more generic than
> what has been traditionally called "externals" in pd, so, it
> collects anything that is "external" in the non-pd meaning of
> "external" but is not a shared library.
>
> Anyway, if it was really meant for GUI, it never was clear, and I
> think that my explanation about the origin of the name "extensions"
> is perfectly reasonable.

I started that section.  Sorry for the bad name, it should probably
be renamed.  It's not really used anyhow.

>> anyhow, i thought (having never used it), the "supercollider" is
>> more like a framework to get sc3 and Pd work together nicely (with
>> a Pd-part and an sc3-part); but i've never used it, so i might be
>> easily mistaken.
>> i think the key point of both of us is, that all 3 of them should be
>> moved out of "/trunk"
>
> Is that "supercollider" component broken or obsolete? AFAIK, SC3
> sounds like it's quite current. It's not like it was made for SC1
> or something.

He meant moving it out of the root to somewhere more appropriate, not
removing it.

----

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
controls you." - Richard M. Stallman