[PD-dev] DesireData

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Feb 8 00:17:57 CET 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 5:13 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>
>> Dear pd-dev,
>>
>> Should DesireData remain part of the "pure-data" sf-project, or
>> become a
>> separate sf-project just like GEM already is?...
>
> i think this is entirely within the responibility of the DesireData
> developers.
>

>> I ask because HCS seems quite concerned by the thought that
>> DesireData
>> might stay in the repository. He seems to claim that moving
>> DesireData
>> out of the repository, would be a way of collaborating with him.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> i do not see a reason for you to move out of the pure-data repository,
> if you are happy there. if you are not, it might be worth considering.
>
> the current repository is neither the dd repository, nor the pd-
> extended
> repository. it is the pure-data repository. both projects could
> technically be moved out and still retain the same functionality
> (development wise).
>
> i prefer to ignore (but like always, fail to do so) the attacks
> between
> you and hans; the only thing they tell me, is that both of you should
> either have a good look at the repository's features to see whether
> there is really a problem, or go to the blutwiesn.

Pd-extended would be much more work to maintain outside of the pure-
data repository.  It is a distro of pd, it is not something
different.  I don't think that a distro should be thought of
something separate.  The reason why Pd-extended uses branches is for
making releases, just like asterisk or subversion itself.

As for the log issue with dd, it seems that svn has made dd
separate... and just to be clear, I started this discussion to make
more effective use of the tools (CVS).  I often had to wade thru lots
of dd log messages.  Since dd is a fork, I thought it made sense to
have separate logs.  It seems svn has done that for us. :)

.hc