[PD-dev] Protecting Pd-MAIN [was: Re: [PD] Problem in os x 10.5.1?]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 11 02:58:57 CET 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> David Plans Casal hat gesagt: // David Plans Casal wrote:
>
>> Now that we have a nice clean SVN repo, can I just use svn diff and
>> apply this patch myself?
>>
>> And if so, what's the appropriate branch? branches/pd? branches /
>> pd /
>> pd-0.40-3?
>
> I'd say, that as we now have no ACL anymore, care should be taken when
> working on the Pd sources itself. So far, Miller had his own section
> that was read-only for others. I think, as the mechanism to protect
> Miller's part is gone now, we need a policy instead how to achieve a
> similar kind of protection, and we probably need it soon. My
> suggestion would be to agree that only Miller commits to the "trunk"
> of "pd" and to create some similarily protected area for Miller's
> release branches.

Yeah, we just need to enforce the social rule about always asking
permission before committing to someone else's area, on this list or
directly.  There isn't really a big threat to Miller's code since he
maintains it in his own git repository.  Changes committed to trunk/
pd would just be overwritten.  And of course, we can always reverse
the changes...

----

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic