[PD-dev] Protecting Pd-MAIN [was: Re: [PD] Problem in os x 10.5.1?]

David Plans Casal dataflow at davidcasal.com
Mon Feb 11 10:29:19 CET 2008

Hi

On 10 Feb 2008, at 22:58, Frank Barknecht wrote:

>> And if so, what's the appropriate branch? branches/pd? branches /
>> pd /
>> pd-0.40-3?
>
> I'd say, that as we now have no ACL anymore, care should be taken when
> working on the Pd sources itself. So far, Miller had his own section
> that was read-only for others. I think, as the mechanism to protect
> Miller's part is gone now, we need a policy instead how to achieve a
> similar kind of protection, and we probably need it soon. My
> suggestion would be to agree that only Miller commits to the "trunk"
> of "pd" and to create some similarily protected area for Miller's
> release branches.

I don't have a problem with the pumpkin holder approach at all (which
is why I didn't just commit this to trunk)

I would like to see tiny (but important) patches go to latest
unprotected branch, wherefrom miller can just cherry pick changes from
branches to trunk, so:

[someDeveloper]:

svn checkout branches/buggyBranch
[edits s_inter.c]
svn commit -m "I fixed bug 37654"
revision 20

[miller]:

svn diff -rHEAD s_inter.c
[oooh yummy change]
svn merge -r 20:HEAD svn://puredata/branches/buggyBranch
[slurp]

In the meantime, what branch do people think bugfixes like this one
should go into?

David