[PD-dev] how to authenticate commits in SVN?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 13 08:59:07 CET 2008

hi miller, matju, all!

Miller Puckette wrote:
> However, I don't have a password (only ssl auth, if even that
> exists in the same form) ... anyway to change SVN authentification
> methods in midstream?
>
> And/or should I just get an old-fashioned password from Iohannes?

unfortunately _i_ cannot give you a password.

fortunately it is not that complicated.
the password is (tada:) your sourceforge-password (with the sourceforge
username of course); this is the very same password as the one you are
using to log into the bug-tracker.

unlike CVS, svn does not use ssh as backend for encrypted transport.
instead it uses http(s) (in our case it _does_ use https, i just
mentioned http for completeness); as a consequence, there is no more
ssl-key exchange for authentication.

rather, subversion caches your password on filesystem (once you have
entered it correctly), so you don't have to re-enter it again and again.

to prevent caching (e.g. because you are on an untrusted machine), you
can use the "--no-auth-cache" flag when committing.

gfmasdr.
IOhannes