[PD-dev] renaming /import to /vendor

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Feb 17 10:51:33 CET 2008

Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:

> The name is pretty arbitrary.  But if we use /vendor, then when
> someone reads the docs on how to use "Vendor Branches", then our
> setup will match the docs.  That's worth something, especially over
> some arbitrary name that is not documented anywhere or commonly used.

i don't fully see the bonus of what you are trying to explain here.
personally, i have never seen either an "import" or a "vendor" branch
in any other svn-repository yet.
this doesn't mean that such a directory doesn't make sense (else i
wouldn't have created one :-))
however, i think that anybody who sees the 4 directories in the root,
will understand both "vendor" and "import".
i have chosen "import", since most of the directories in there are
really only the initial commits that were then developed on
sourceforge rather than imports of upstream "vendor" releases (which
are totally unrelated to the development of pure-data (externals),
e.g. the apple HID stuff);
i though that "vendor" would be confusing, and that it would be
nonsense to provide _both_ "vendor" and "import".
and i did not want to delete the import tags/branches entirely (though
probably this would have been the best idea)

and finally: we don't have any "calc" directories in our project (even
though this is mentioned quite often in the docs).

but really, hans, if you feel you can sleep better with a "vendor"
directory, go on an rename it: you are probably the only one who is
really using it, so why not fit it to your needs?

fgmasd.r
IOhannes