[PD-dev] svn troubles

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Feb 19 19:45:59 CET 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> - i have encountered problems on w32 with "forbidden" filenames, such
> as "AUX" and "COM", but this doesn't seem to be the case here...

AUX CON NUL are forbidden. (CON is for console, equivalent to /dev/tty)

COM is not reserved. COM1, COM2, etc. are, but I think I recall that they
are in a different namespace, whereas the three above are in all
namespaces at once. I think that COM1,COM2,LPT1,... were written with a
trailing colon, too, while the three forbidden names weren't.

In MSDOS 2.0 they added an option to force the use of the prefix \DEV\ ...
This was a special system call that no-one ever ever called, not even any
MS program. Go figure. (note: MSDOS 1.x didn't have directories at all)