[PD-dev] section in SVN for Windows sources

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 05:38:25 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

>  For the Windows builds, I need a way to track all of the various
>  sources needed (One GNU/Linux and Mac OS X, this is done by the
>  package management systems thankfully).  There are a lot:

I imagine you've already discussed this to death, but if it's of any
interest... in my own code I usually avoid putting other project's
sources in my repositories.  Instead, I usually just make a script (or
set of scripts) called "bootstrap.sh", which downloads the various
sources and compiles them all in one shot.  It seems to work okay,
since generally I only need to do this once, but it's convenient when
setting up a new machine.  Sometimes I keep a few patches in the
project as well, which are automatically applied to the sources after
untarring but before compiling.

I've also approached this problem in the patch with scripts in Python
or even Makefiles, instead of a shell script.  The shell script
(surprisingly, perhaps a reflection on my coding abilities.. :) seems
to be the most manageable for me, however.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to just dump the external source
trees into my repository, but somehow I can't bring myself to do it.
Not even sure why..
Well, I should note that sometimes this approach is useful for
operating-system-specific patches, since the patched files are not
saved in the repository, so conflicts aren't a problem.  (I have no
interest in resolving platform-dependent conflicts on other people's
codebases! .. :)  ugh..)

>  Perhaps it's possible to build the whole Pd-extended using Cygwin
>  sources, which means that there would be a package management
>  system.  Hmm... that would be nice...

imho the cygwin package manager has a lot to be desired, but I guess
it's more convenient than the big fat nothing that comes with mingw.
I think it would be an incredibly worthwhile effort to port something
like apt/dpkg to mingw..

there are, however, a few efforts out there, not sure how good they are:
- http://lintouch.org/download/mingw-package-1.1/README.html
- http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/mingwPORT
- http://unigw.sourceforge.net/