[PD-dev] Tcl_Eval() vs. Tcl_EvalObjEx()

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 6 06:14:05 CET 2008

I found the root of the disappearing lines on Windows, it is indeed
related to namespaces.  And in that process, I found out that Pd uses
Tcl_Eval() to execute the Tcl commands.  It turns out that Tcl_Eval()
seems to be the slowest Tcl function available for doing this.

I am thinking of switching it to use Tcl_EvalObjEx(), which compiles
the Tcl to bytecode, then caches the bytecode.  It also skips some
deprecated actions which Tcl_Eval() still does.

Anyone know anything about this?  I am curious about what the
pitfalls might be before going down this road.

----

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!