[PD-dev] [PD-Dev] : compiling pd-extended for Gentoo 64bits.

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 12 00:34:19 CET 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Mysth-R wrote:

> 2008/3/11, Peter Brinkmann <peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com>:
>
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> What happens if you just change it so that the x86 target works for
> both?  It seems that the code in the if statements is the same.
> E.g., change this:
>
>          *86-*-linux*)
>
> to this:
>
>          *86*-linux*)
>
> Then that should work for both x86 and x86_64.
>
> Actually, the code for the targets is not quite the same; I had to
> add -fPIC to the compiler options to get it to compile on my 64-bit
> machine.
>     Peter
>
> Yes I also had to add -fPIC to the compiler option.

I am guessing there is probably no harm in adding -fPIC to the 32-bit
builds.  I know that on Mac OS X, the whole package is compiled with -
fPIC.  I checked in a fix, please try it on 64-bit to make sure it
works there (the nightlies will tell me about 32-bit :)

.hc

> On Mar 11, 2008, at 3:55 AM, Peter Brinkmann wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> I recently managed to compile OSCx on my 64-bit machine (FC6 with
>> Planet CCRMA) by adding the appropriate compiler options to
>> configure.ac.  I'll attach the modified file.
>>
>> By the way, I'm about to embark on a project that'll probably
>> involve PD and OSC.  I'm getting the impression that I should use
>> mrpeach's net/osc objects rather than OSCx.  Is that right?
>> Best,
>>    Peter
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you get this working it would be great if you can submit a
>> patch to the tracker:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=55736&atid=478072
>>
>> Or at the very least a bug report:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=55736&atid=478072
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Mar 9, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Mysth-R wrote:
>>

>>> 2008/3/9, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:
>>> hi

>>> 64 bits
>>> official

>>> [...]
>>> htmsocket.o
>>> libOSC.a
>>> linux-gnu/bin/ld:
>>>

>>> for whatever reasons you are trying to link against libpd which
>>> does not
>>> exist.
>>>
>>> Well, I don't know, I have just downloaded pd-extended from svn...
>>>
>>> try removing the "-lpd" from the makefile.
>>>
>>> yes thank you it works.

>>> i don't know, but this is not the problem here....
>>>

>>> btw, i would suggest to remove OSCx from pd-extended and replace
>>> it by
>>> some abstractions based on osc/net (i have them lying around
>>> somewhere)
>>>
>>> Ok but at this moment I have some patch working with OSCx so, I
>>> would like to make it work. But yes perhaps I should use another
>>> one.
>>>
>>> Thank you for the help :)
>>>

>>> --
>>> *
>>> ********************************************************************
>>> *******************
>>> *  {^_^} Mysth-R {^_^}
>>> *  <= Aide Auditive =>
>>> *
>>> * http://myspace.com/mysthr
>>> * http://myspace.com/aideauditive
>>> * http://mysthr.free.fr/Joomla  => Site dédié ŕ l'audio sous
>>> Fedora/PlanetCCRMA.
>>> *

>> <configure.ac>

> ------
>
> Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy
> is related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra

> [...]

----

scarcity."        -John Gilmore