[PD-dev] naming loaders: pdlua, tclpd, etc.

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Mar 14 00:33:40 CET 2008

Albert Graef wrote:
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> May I throw in another one: As loaders are a bit different than
>> externals,
>
> Uhm, did I miss anything? In which way is a "loader" different from an
> external?

A loader-external adds a hook into Pd's loader (the bit that searches
for files to load when an object of unknown class is instantiated).
This hook can do anything, but most commonly it adds support for classes
written in languages other than (already compiled) C or .pd text patches.

A "loader" is a subset of an external, any compiled code loaded by Pd is
an external, but some externals can use the loader API.

 > In that it loads another interpreter? Is there a special new
> API for this kind of things?

Yes, a simple one: there is a function typedef (for the loader hook
functionality) and a function to add a hook to the list.  I forget the
exact names, they're in m_pd.h if you have a new enough Pd.

 > I just want to know as I'm maintaining the
> Pd-Faust and -Q interfaces, and I'm always looking for ways to make them
> work better...

In my experience trying to use Haskell in Pd didn't work so well, partly
because it was compiled.  Lua, being interpreted, worked much better.

> Albert

Hope this helps,

Claude
--