[PD-dev] naming loaders: pdlua, tclpd, etc.

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Fri Mar 14 06:56:47 CET 2008

Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> Yes, a simple one: there is a function typedef (for the loader hook
> functionality) and a function to add a hook to the list.  I forget the
> exact names, they're in m_pd.h if you have a new enough Pd.

You mean this? (From your Lua external.)

/* defined in pd/src/s_loader.c but not in any header file... */
typedef int (*loader_t)(t_canvas *, char *);
void sys_register_loader(loader_t loader);

This looks like it may be useful for Pd/Q, too. I guess I'll have to
dive into the sources to see how it works, or is it documented somewhere?

> In my experience trying to use Haskell in Pd didn't work so well, partly
> because it was compiled.  Lua, being interpreted, worked much better.

Yeah, the nice thing about interpreted languages is that they allow you
to change the code on the fly which is great for live coding. Pd/Q does
that, too. It's still work in progress, but all the basic functionality
for processing Pd messages is already there and seems to work quite
well. (In fact you could see it in action in Julius' Faust guitar demo
at LAC08, where it did all the table-driven MIDI-to-Faust controller
mapping behind the scenes.)

Thanks,
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag