[PD-dev] naming loaders: pdlua, tclpd, etc.

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 14 17:25:33 CET 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 3:07 PM, mescalinum at gmail.com wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner ha scritto:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Now that we have a number of loaders, I'd like to figure out a
>> standard way of naming the libraries so that they are easy to
>> organize and load.  Currently, there are these arrangments:
>>
>> pdXXX
>> -----
>> pdlua.pd_linux
>> pdtcl.pd_linux
>> pdhaskell.pd_linux
>> [import pdtcl]
>>

>> XXXpd
>> -----
>> luapd.pd_linux
>> tclpd.pd_linux
>> haskellpd.pd_linux
>> [import tclpd]
>>

>> XXX
>> ---
>> lua.pd_linux
>> tcl.pd_linux
>> haskell.pd_linux
>> [import tcl]
>>

> for me it's ok either "tclpd" or "pdtcl".
> I believe calling it just "tcl" would lead to confusion, since Tcl is
> already a library used by Pd.
>
> if you happen to rename tclpd to pdtcl, please rename also the
> occurrences of tclpd inside the source code to pdtcl.
>
> --
> Federico Ferri

Using the "pd" afterwards means that they will sort alphabetically
nicely.  So how about this for the standard:

lua.pd_linux
[import lua]
project name: luapd

tcl.pd_linux
[import tcl]
project name: tclpd

Also, what about having a 'loaders' section of SVN?  Either 'trunk/
loaders' or 'trunk/externals/loaders'?  Then perhaps we don't need
the 'pd' in the folder name:

trunk/loaders/clr
trunk/loaders/hex
trunk/loaders/libdir