[PD-dev] pdmtl abstractions breaking builds

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 04:12:05 CET 2008

Hi Hans,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

>  Just having a link in the pure-data SVN to the pdmtl abstractions
>  isn't really useful from my experience. I think it would be more
>  useful to import pdmtl releases into the pure-data SVN.  But it seems
>  that there aren't any pdmtl releases.
>
>  By just importing the latest pdmtl abstractions into Pd-extended, I
>  think that will cause more problems that in solves.  I think it makes
>  more sense to work out the details of a user-managed externals
>  installation location, then the users can manage pdmtl there using
>  SVN or whatever.

Sure, I agree that Pd-e should have stable versions of whatever's
included.  I thought part of the appeal of the autobuilds, though, is
that libraries can be tested in the context of the distribution before
a release.

Anyway, a good compromise would be for the PdMTL crew to create a
release branch on their side, and I'll switch the external definition
in Pd-SVN to mirror that.  Then, when they are comfortable with the
state of their trunk they can merge it in, and that way Pd-SVN won't
be affected by the fluctuations of the bleeding edge.  Would that be
preferable?

(also, I removed pdmtl from the builds while we sort this out so the
autobuilds resume)

>  On Mac OS X since 0.39.3-extended, /Library/Pd is a such a location.
>  Just put your code there and it is in the default path for objects
>  and help files.  We just need to pick standard locations for GNU/
>  Linux and Windows, then add it to default preferences, then I think
>  that will be the best solution for managing pdmtl with Pd-extended.
>
>  This really the direction that Pd-extended should be going on.  Only
>  really stable things should be included, other things should be
>  managed outside.  Ideally we'd have some kind of apt-get for Pd.

I'm all for this, and if I find myself with some free time I'll see if
I can contribute to its realization.

Cheers
Luke