[PD-dev] what is schedlib/externalschedlibmain?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 26 16:50:49 CET 2008

I am guessing that Gem uses the HID API, I couldn't find where in the
Gem code it was using the Apple API.  HID does not require the event
loop, you can poll it for events since it has an internal queue.  The
IOBluetooth API doesn't do the internally queuing or have a poll
function, so you have to stick callbacks into the CFRunLoop.

.hc

On Mar 25, 2008, at 10:02 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> Look at the GEM OSX code for mouse and keyboard events hacking.
> Getting the required data doesn't always require the by the book
> event loops.
>
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> So does this scheduler then completely override the built-in one?  I
> am trying to find a way to deal with Apple Carbon CFRunLoops, which
> are needed by the IOBluetooth API in order to get the data from the
> devices at regular intervals.
>
> Carbon apps all have one built-in, it is the main event loop, but
> since 'pd' is separate from its GUI, the CFRunLoop is in the pd-gui
> Tcl/Tk process, and therefore the wiiremote object can't hook into it.
>
> .hc
>
> On Mar 24, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > It was working as of 0.37 (got used in PdVST) but I haven't
> tested it
> > for years, and of course I might have broken it moving it to
> > s_loader.c.
> > I'm now planning a pd object that starts a subsidiary Pd process
> > which will
> > almost certainly have to plug in an alternate scheduler, so we
> should
> > know within a few months...
> >
> > cheers
> > Miller
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 07:12:24PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I meant, is the schedlib stuff working.
> >>
> >> .hc

> functional?

> schedulers

> there any

> Mohja

> >> ---
> >> ----
> >>
> >> The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
> >> King, Jr.

> --
> ----
>
> Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic

----

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
controls you." - Richard M. Stallman