[PD-dev] Resolved :: Pool disappearing or not getting created

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Apr 11 20:21:26 CEST 2008

Hello all, Thomas in particular.

This is really for the archives as the disapearing pool problem was
resolved, and that is probably the same cause of pool not getting
created in SVN flext.

Let this be a lesson, when a flext external acts funny, recompile them
all from the same flext!!!

I've been using pool just to store the results of some SOM training
data, and I'm bizzarly stuck.

I was working on a patch a month ago, all was well, then I recently
opened the same patch, and the pool objects were not visible. I did not
change anything on the system, no updates, same version of PD (0.39-2),
same flext and same pool.

I've tried a bunch of stuff to resolve this but I've not gotten any
ware. I'll start with my most recent efforts.

I've removed all files in /usr and /usr/local with flext in the same,
including directories.

Then I build flext from SVN (trunk revision 9690 for the flext directory)

I commented out SIMD=1 to turn off SSE for this AMD64. in config.txt

I added the proper paths to config-lnx-pd-gcc.txt to PD sources, made
the flext path /usr/local, the outpath=. , installpath
/usr/lib/pd/extra, commented out all the STK and SndObj stuff.

removed all sse UFLAGS, leaving only -ffast-math left other flags to
default.

Compiling flext and pool, after build.sh pd gcc clean, seems to work
fine, I see the binaries, I'm using -lib pool to load pool. (after pd
gcc install for both flext and pool)

PD says pool is loaded:

pool 0.2.2pre - hierarchical storage object, (C)2002-2008 Thomas Grill

but the pool object will not instantiate, (just the dashed line border)
and the usual console message:

 pool
... couldn't create
 pool test
... couldn't create

Does the current SVN version of flext/pool still play with 39-2 or only
newer PDs? (I'm using the old PD as I know its rock stable for this
installation).

So I've downloaded the "stable" flext and pool from thomas website, and
trying again:

copied the same config-lnx-pd-gcc.txt and config.txt from the SVN build.

starting pd again with -lib pool

PD says pool is loaded:

pool 0.2.1 - hierarchical storage object, (C)2002-2005 Thomas Grill

making a pool object does instantiate, but is invisible. I can blindly
click on it to get the pool properties, and connect things to it, but
can't see the object itself.

Ok, so tried removing the .pdsettings, and not using -lib pool, and
creating a pool object, and it works! So I'll put the pdsettings back in
lib by lib to see if I can figure out what library its conflicting with.

Ok, it was (duh) xsample that was left over from some old flext was
causing the invisible pool problem. Having -lib xsample messed with pool.

I'm sending this message just for the archives.

.b.