[PD-dev] Fwd: [MACTCL] Improving Application GUI Speed

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Apr 14 19:19:32 CEST 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 6:28 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Jakob Leben wrote:
>>
>> If someone has thought on these proposals or any ideas, please
>> comment.
>>

> not directly, but: does anybody know how one could setup a shared-
> memory
> between pd and pd-gui?
> i think it would be a good idea to not send large amounts of data
> through a network socket.
> (i had a look at [pix_preview] the other day, and noticed that it
> is not
> really usable with larger image-data; shared-memory might be a
> solution
> for this as well...)
>
> fmgasdr
> IOhannes

For pix_preview, I was thinking, it could allocate two framebuffers
and one lock variable.  In the lock variable would be the address of
the framebuffer that is currently ready for Tcl to draw.  On the C
side, it would be filling the other framebuffer in the meantime.
Once that is all done, it would change the lock variable to point to
the new one.  This could be done with mmap and the lock variable
would just be a filename, and the Tcl image object would just read
the mmap'ed file for the image data.

Just throwing it out there.

----

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste