[PD-dev] pdmtl abstractions breaking builds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 15 18:59:37 CEST 2008

On Mar 22, 2008, at 11:12 PM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Just having a link in the pure-data SVN to the pdmtl abstractions
>>  isn't really useful from my experience. I think it would be more
>>  useful to import pdmtl releases into the pure-data SVN.  But it
>> seems
>>  that there aren't any pdmtl releases.
>>
>>  By just importing the latest pdmtl abstractions into Pd-extended, I
>>  think that will cause more problems that in solves.  I think it
>> makes
>>  more sense to work out the details of a user-managed externals
>>  installation location, then the users can manage pdmtl there using
>>  SVN or whatever.
>>

> Sure, I agree that Pd-e should have stable versions of whatever's
> included.  I thought part of the appeal of the autobuilds, though, is
> that libraries can be tested in the context of the distribution before
> a release.
>
> Anyway, a good compromise would be for the PdMTL crew to create a
> release branch on their side, and I'll switch the external definition
> in Pd-SVN to mirror that.  Then, when they are comfortable with the
> state of their trunk they can merge it in, and that way Pd-SVN won't
> be affected by the fluctuations of the bleeding edge.  Would that be
> preferable?
>
> (also, I removed pdmtl from the builds while we sort this out so the
> autobuilds resume)

Sorry for the slow response.   I think a better solution than an svn
external link for testing PdMtl with  Pd-extended would be to iron
out a library format and a standard location for user-installed
libraries.  On Mac OS X, /Library/Pd has been in place since 0.38.4.
We need to define standard locations for the other platforms now.

It's time to get a lot more conservative with what we add to Pd-
extended.  Once you guys feel that PdMtl is quite stable in terms of
its interface, organization and naming, then it would be ready for
inclusion in Pd-extended, if you want.  Or if you want to include it,
then deal with backwards compatibility with any changes you make,
then you can include it now.

>>  On Mac OS X since 0.39.3-extended, /Library/Pd is a such a location.
>>  Just put your code there and it is in the default path for objects
>>  and help files.  We just need to pick standard locations for GNU/
>>  Linux and Windows, then add it to default preferences, then I think
>>  that will be the best solution for managing pdmtl with Pd-extended.
>>
>>  This really the direction that Pd-extended should be going on.  Only
>>  really stable things should be included, other things should be
>>  managed outside.  Ideally we'd have some kind of apt-get for Pd.
>>
> I'm all for this, and if I find myself with some free time I'll see if
> I can contribute to its realization.

Great, I think it was Alexandre Quessy who first suggested this, so
perhaps he'll help too.

.hc