[PD-dev] Fwd: [MACTCL] Improving Application GUI Speed

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 15 19:11:01 CEST 2008

Sounds interesting, you can post the code here in the email.  If it
is a patch against Pd, then you can submit it to the patch tracker:

http://puredata.info/dev/patchtracker

 From how you described this, I think there might be a better way to
implement this.  Adding another function to widgetbehavior means that
in order to take advantage of this fix, every single GUI object will
have to be changed to use that new function.

Perhaps there is a way of implementing this in the displace_fn?
IIRC, the displace_fn is meant for moving already, so no need to
define a new move function.

Thanks for taking this on, it is a very valuable contribution!

.hc

On Apr 15, 2008, at 1:04 AM, Jakob Leben wrote:

> OK, I think I did it. Solved the slow garray drawing.
>
> I introduced a new widgetbehavior of the same form as t_displacefn.
> All children of a graph get their new widgetbehavior called from
> graph_displace. That's way I called the new widgetbehavior
> t_graphfn, maybe we could find something better to make clear the
> following notion: each object should write into it's graphfn
> function only procedures to move it's graphical content with calls
> to Tk command "move"; t_graphfn function provides in form of it's
> arguments dx and dy to use with Tk move just as t_displacefn does
> (graph_display passes it's dx and dy arguments on to every
> t_graphfn call it makes).
>
> I've filled in graphfn functions for everything connected with data
> structures and arrays, it remains to write those functions for
> iemgui and oldschool "text" objects. Coming soon. And for somebody
> who wants to write new graphical externals the change will be
> almost invisible, because we can make an iemgui_graph function to
> map to t_graphfn, that will call x_gui.x_draw with
> IEM_GUI_DRAW_MODE_MOVE, so one really doesn't need to write any
> more GUI code than before.
>
> Performance is greatly improved, I can load 20secs of audio into an
> array and it moves around a patch smoothly, though it demands it's
> 40-50% cpu. But anyway, it works. I also tweaked some other pieces
> of code to remove unnecessary multiple calls to garray_vis. I
> haven't yet tried if it disturbs heavy audio processing when you
> load a large sample into an array. That's my main concern with
> arrays to be honest.
>
> So, what's the regime for spreading this code of mine into the wide
> world? do you want to check it out? Shall I simply attach it to an
> email? Can I upload the code somewhere?
>
> J.
>
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> On Apr 14, 2008, at 6:28 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Jakob Leben wrote:
>
> If someone has thought on these proposals or any ideas, please
> comment.
>

> not directly, but: does anybody know how one could setup a shared-
> memory
> between pd and pd-gui?
> i think it would be a good idea to not send large amounts of data
> through a network socket.
> (i had a look at [pix_preview] the other day, and noticed that it
> is not
> really usable with larger image-data; shared-memory might be a
> solution
> for this as well...)
>
> fmgasdr
> IOhannes
>
> For pix_preview, I was thinking, it could allocate two framebuffers
> and one lock variable.  In the lock variable would be the address
> of the framebuffer that is currently ready for Tcl to draw.  On the
> C side, it would be filling the other framebuffer in the meantime.
> [...]

----

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra