[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1942204 ] pdpedia Captcha

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 15 19:55:14 CEST 2008

Quoting "SourceForge.net" <noreply at sourceforge.net>:

> Please note that this message will contain a full copy of the comment thread,
> including the initial issue submission, for this request,
> not just the latest update.
> Category: pdpedia
>

> Any admin can easily delete those junk posts with the 'delete' tab and
> also protect problem pages.  A captcha might help, I haven't seen one for
> mediawiki before.

a captcha will help in about 97% probably even more (this is just a
wild guess)

> Check the "recent changes" log now, and you'll see the spam is gone. :)

hmm, your approach seems to deal with the problem but does nothing to
prevent it.
what will happen when the next attack starts?
will we just have to wait for "any admin" to "easily delete those junk
posts" again?

as far as i recall, when pdpedia was installed there was some
consensus about using captchas when a spamming problem would appear.
are there any technical or organisatorial problems in using them?
(it seems like you have some reasons against using captchas, but you
haven't told us yet)

fgmasdr
IOhannes