[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1942204 ] pdpedia Captcha

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 15 21:06:42 CEST 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 1:55 PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
> Quoting "SourceForge.net" <noreply at sourceforge.net>:
>
>> Please note that this message will contain a full copy of the
>> comment thread,
>> including the initial issue submission, for this request,
>> not just the latest update.
>> Category: pdpedia
>>

>> Any admin can easily delete those junk posts with the 'delete' tab
>> and
>> also protect problem pages.  A captcha might help, I haven't seen
>> one for
>> mediawiki before.
>
> a captcha will help in about 97% probably even more (this is just a
> wild guess)

>> Check the "recent changes" log now, and you'll see the spam is
>> gone. :)
>
> hmm, your approach seems to deal with the problem but does nothing to
> prevent it.
> what will happen when the next attack starts?
> will we just have to wait for "any admin" to "easily delete those junk
> posts" again?
>
> as far as i recall, when pdpedia was installed there was some
> consensus about using captchas when a spamming problem would appear.
> are there any technical or organisatorial problems in using them?
> (it seems like you have some reasons against using captchas, but you
> haven't told us yet)

I think wikipedia people are very smart about this issue.  The real
focus should not be to prevent spamming at all costs.  If you do
that, you end up working more, and you lose a lot of contributions.
You cannot stop spam ever. Period.  Captchas are annoying and are far
from 97% effective.  I have captchas on my blog and I get a lot of
automated user registrations anyway.

The real focus of this effort should be how to manage the problem in
a way that takes the least work and provides the most benefit.  If we
have a number of admins active on pdpedia, then it is really quite
easy to use the 'delete' feature to get rid of spam.  For pages that
get spammed a lot, there is the 'protect' feature.

.hc