[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1942204 ] pdpedia Captcha

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 15 21:07:52 CEST 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 2:26 PM, marius schebella wrote:
> zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>> Quoting "SourceForge.net" <noreply at sourceforge.net>:
>>
>>> Please note that this message will contain a full copy of the
>>> comment thread,
>>> including the initial issue submission, for this request,
>>> not just the latest update.
>>> Category: pdpedia
>>>

>>> Any admin can easily delete those junk posts with the 'delete'
>>> tab and
>>> also protect problem pages.  A captcha might help, I haven't seen
>>> one for
>>> mediawiki before.
>>
>> a captcha will help in about 97% probably even more (this is just a
>> wild guess)
>>
>>> Check the "recent changes" log now, and you'll see the spam is
>>> gone. :)
>>
>> hmm, your approach seems to deal with the problem but does nothing to
>> prevent it.
>> what will happen when the next attack starts?
>> will we just have to wait for "any admin" to "easily delete those
>> junk
>> posts" again?
>>
>> as far as i recall, when pdpedia was installed there was some
>> consensus about using captchas when a spamming problem would appear.
>> are there any technical or organisatorial problems in using them?
>> (it seems like you have some reasons against using captchas, but you
>> haven't told us yet)
>
> I think we even agreed that in a case when sites get spammed, that
> only
> registered users were allowed to edit pages. I still would recommend
> that, I think then we don't need captchas.
> marius.

Spambots can easily register themselves and post, it happens a lot.
Then you have to deal with managing spam users.  When spambots can
post anonymously, then it is easy to manage the removal of it.
Managing spam users would be a lot more work.

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams