[PD-dev] Fwd: [MACTCL] Improving Application GUI Speed

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 01:48:52 CEST 2008

My patch speeds up moving arrays around the pd patch window, but what is
still too CPU intensive is the actual plotting of array data. (it still
disturbs pd audio engine). I tried modifying the plotting algorithm for
garrays and I found out that it's not sending to Tk that is slow (so
optimizing that will not help), but it is the algorithm to calculate the
coordinates, because it always calculates the stretching according to 'graph
on parent' settings.

It is possible to know from inside the plot_vis function whether we are
graphing a garray so in this case we could have a special algorithm that
simply doesn't care about the X and Y range settings for 'graph on parent'
and would be much less CPU consuming. What do you people think?

Another option would be to set up a clock and plot the array piece by piece
every n milliseconds, giving the audio engine time in between for audio
computation.

Suggestions?

...btw found another bug in my patch for graphing on parent: changing the
plotting style for arrays doesn't work right anymore. I'll try to fix that
soon.

J.