[PD-dev] new distro: pd-vanilla+libs

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Apr 18 19:19:58 CEST 2008

Hallo,

> Ultimately, that sounds like a good goal, but it would also be a lot
> more work, and would cuase more bugs.  There are incompatibilities
> between versions, not always large, but there.  That means you'd then
> have to add code to manage that.  Externals are a lot like linux
> kernel modules.

Is it really that bad? I often don't recompile my externals when I
install a newer Pd version (and just for fun loaded maxlib 0.3, compiled
Jul 8 2002 with the newest Pd, seems to work just fine).

I know, some externals are dependent on a specific version, e.g. GUI
externals like knob or some that use "private" headers, and of course
some abstraction may require features not available in early versions.
But this may be possible to work around by requiring a minimum version
of Pd(-vanilla).

Ciao
--
Frank