[PD-dev] new distro: pd-vanilla+libs

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Apr 18 19:44:59 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 19:19 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> > Ultimately, that sounds like a good goal, but it would also be a lot
> > more work, and would cuase more bugs.  There are incompatibilities
> > between versions, not always large, but there.  That means you'd then
> > have to add code to manage that.  Externals are a lot like linux
> > kernel modules.
>
> Is it really that bad? I often don't recompile my externals when I
> install a newer Pd version (and just for fun loaded maxlib 0.3, compiled
> Jul 8 2002 with the newest Pd, seems to work just fine).
>
> I know, some externals are dependent on a specific version, e.g. GUI
> externals like knob or some that use "private" headers, and of course
> some abstraction may require features not available in early versions.
> But this may be possible to work around by requiring a minimum version
> of Pd(-vanilla).

i also wonder, what problems could occur. iirc, i never had any
troubles, when installing a new version of pd while keeping all the
self-compiled externals. but this might be due to the few libraries i
use (zexy, maxlib, iemlib and some abstractions).

would it make sense to track such issues somewhere on
www.puredata.info ?

roman