[PD-dev] two embedded prefs for Mac: default and override all

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed May 14 09:40:16 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I mean if you write a patch that needs special hardware, then you would
> handle the settings in the patch.  I think most people set up their
> primary hardware to the primary soundcard, then it "just works" with Pd
> default audio settings.

i think we are not that far appart.

however, i cannot resist to make 2 remarks

1.
first, i don't know what you mean by "special hardware".
is a multichannel soundcard "special"? is an external soundcard (usb,
firewire, pcmcia,...) "special"?

i think that most (though not all) people will use their built-in
soundcard (if present) for everyday purposes.
but few (though some) people will use their crappy laptop soundcard for
a performance...

so if your "application" is just for people to test things out (instead
of using it in a "professional" way), i would say you are on the right
track.
however, in this case i (personally) think too much time has already
been spent on the topic.

whoa, all this sounds rather elitist. it is not my intention (nor my
self-perception :-))
i am just trying to find a way to do preferences in a re-useable way...

2.
if most people set up their "primary hardware to the primary soundcard"
and use Pd's default audio settings, then there is no need for other
settngs :-)
if people have to use the audio-settings (for whatever reasons), then an
application should not plainly ignore it.
hence my request to split the preferences into hardware and software
specific settings.

> Or at least I do it this way on ALSA and Mac OS
> X (I only use Windows to test Pd bugs).

:-)

fgmasdr
IOhannes