[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1965272 ] find last error doesn't handle properly gop-enabled subp/abs

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri May 16 13:19:22 CEST 2008

Bugs item #1965272, was opened at 2008-05-16 13:19
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=1965272&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: puredata
Group: v0.41.0

Initial Comment:
Tested on Win XP

When you get an error of the kind "Inlet: expected foo but got bar" and you do a "find last error" (and the error is trackable), usually PD opens the innermost window containing the object whose inlet caused the error, and selects the object so that its border is highlighted in blue. That's fine.

Now, I often create gop-enabled abstractions without inlets nor outlets (with [send]s and [receive]s inside) and with some gui on them. So my main patch is just a collection of instances of such gop-enaglen objects. Inside they contain a lot of spaghetti and abstractions and subpatches which of course do have inlets and outlets... and errors.

When I get some error of the kind "Inlet: expected foo but got bar", I do a "find last error", and I would expect the same behaviour than you get when you don't use gop-enabled abstractions.

On the contrary, PD selects one of the toplevel gop-enabled objects in the main window.

This is wrong in the first place, because it should go deeper into the innermost cause of the error. The cause of the error cannot be the top level object because it has no inlets at all.

Furthermore, because of bug 1965261, the toplevel gopenabled object that is "highlighted" as the source of error, is not visibly highlighted at all, because its border are not blue. So, I have no clue of what object has been "found".