[PD-dev] profiling the Tcl<->Pd connection

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat May 17 14:04:01 CEST 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Rich E wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Miller Puckette
> <mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> I rather doubt this can relly help given the way Pd uses Tcl/Tk.
> (I still have a pet idea on the other hand of simply parsing the
> TCL code
> and passing it to GTK :)
>
> All those in favor of a GTK GUI for pd say I.

Honestly, Tcl/Tk does a much better job than GTK on Mac OS X and
maybe Windows too.  GTK apps look like, well, GTK apps.  Tcl/Tk apps
can be made to be quite native in feel.  Tcl/Tk's big lack right now
is native GNOME (and maybe KDE?) panels.  I've looked for a way to
use native GNOME open/save panels, but I haven't found it yet.
Anyone know of a way?

.hc

> IIIIIII!
>
> rich.
>

> cheers
>
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:26:00PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
> >
> > Now that I have discovered this bytecode caching feature, I am
> > curious if the changes I made have made any performance differences.
> > Also, matju mentioned that the bytecode caching probably works
> better
> > if reusing procs, so it could make sense to have sys_vgui calls use
> > Tcl procs, so that the bytecode gets reused.
> >
> > I was also thinking that perhaps sys_vgui communications could use
> > Tcl_Obj references instead of sending whole lines of Tcl, but that
> > might get overly complicated.
> >
> > .hc

> --
> > ----
> >
> >                                                http://at.or.at/hans/

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic