[PD-dev] SVN Merging

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Mon May 19 10:33:26 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Hans friendlily reminded me to copy my latest changes in the trunk
over to the branch, so I thought I'd briefly outline the process for
doing so:
As we learned last semester, a branch is simply a copy of a directory
at a certain revision with a shared history up to the point of
copying.  You can find the exact revision of a branch's branching by
using "svn log --stop-on-copy", so in this case:
svn log --stop-on-copy
https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/branches/pd-extended/v0-40/abstractions/senderfruit

tells me that my directory was copied over at revision 9819.

So, now that I know where I'm starting from, I pull down a copy of the
branch I'm merging into (merging happens locally in case of
conflicts):
svn co https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/branches/pd-extended/v0-40/abstractions/senderfruit
cd senderfruit

then merge everything from 9819 to the present (from the trunk):
svn merge -r 9819:HEAD
https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/trunk/abstractions/senderfruit

and, most importantly, I leave a note in the log of what I merged so
that if I want to merge again, I'll know where I left off.
svn ci -m "merged r 9819:9852 from trunk/abstractions/senderfruit"

As you'll note, all this revision bookkeeping is a giant pain in the ass.

That's being supposedly fixed in SVN 1.5, where you'll be able to
simply say "svn merge [URL] [WorkingCopy]" and it will figure the rest
out.  Now if they'd just release it.

Cheers
Luke