[PD-dev] the future of [declare] and canvas_savedeclarationsto()

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 19 18:28:31 CEST 2008

Hey,

So I am diving into the whole canvas-local namespace and [declare]
issue these days.  I like the new "#X declare"/
canvas_savedeclarationsto() functionality, I think it could be useful
for a lot of things.  I was thinking of making an API to use it in
externals, something like sys_register_loader().  I have two
questions, first, how entrenched is the current behavior of
[declare]?  It currently is only semi-functional, and I think few
people use it.

The second is how to structure this for general use.  I have thought
of two ways:

- make "declare" the key word and allow other objectclasses to have
their own custom "#X declare" data.

- allow objectclasses to register their own declaration key words,
like [import] could have "#X import".

The first would mean changing the behavior of [declare], the second
could lead to a big mess...

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams