[PD-dev] profiling the Tcl<->Pd connection

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 19 19:23:50 CEST 2008

On May 18, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Rich E wrote:

> Honestly, Tcl/Tk does a much better job than GTK on Mac OS X and
> maybe Windows too.  GTK apps look like, well, GTK apps.  Tcl/Tk
> apps can be made to be quite native in feel.
>
> I guess I am thinking more of functionality.  I feel like I have
> hit a wall with pd's data structs, as the things I want to do are
> either impossible or too slow with tk (If anyone can think of a way
> to make a playhead auto scroll in a data-struct - score, I may
> stand corrected).

> Personally, the thought of using cario or opengl widgets for
> controlling pd is appealing.  So much that I am experimenting with
> a seperate app, coded in gtk/opengl, for controlling pd through
> OSC.  I just don't see any reason why not to have it as the native
> pd GUI as well.  Not that I can do it at present, or that cario/
> opengl will ever be in pd-vanilla, just dreaming.

I haven't look in-depth into the data structures drawing code, but if
it is anything like the other drawing commands, then it uses delete/
create to move things.  That's very slow.  If it was changed to use
"move" commands, it could be a lot faster.

.hc

>  Tcl/Tk's big lack right now is native GNOME (and maybe KDE?)
> panels.  I've looked for a way to use native GNOME open/save
> panels, but I haven't found it yet.  Anyone know of a way?
>
> .hc
>

>> IIIIIII!
>>
>> rich.
>>

>> cheers
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:26:00PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Now that I have discovered this bytecode caching feature, I am
>> > curious if the changes I made have made any performance
>> differences.
>> > Also, matju mentioned that the bytecode caching probably works
>> better
>> > if reusing procs, so it could make sense to have sys_vgui calls use
>> > Tcl procs, so that the bytecode gets reused.
>> >
>> > I was also thinking that perhaps sys_vgui communications could use
>> > Tcl_Obj references instead of sending whole lines of Tcl, but that
>> > might get overly complicated.
>> >
>> > .hc

>> ---
>> > ----
>> >
>> >                                                http://at.or.at/
>> hans/

> ------
>
> Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic

----

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra