[PD-dev] the future of [declare] and canvas_savedeclarationsto()

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue May 20 14:12:29 CEST 2008

Hallo,

> [declare -std*] modifies the global namespace [declare] with -lib and
> -path modify the canvas-local namespace.

Not according to the help-file for declare, where the only difference
between the options with "std" and those without is how the arguments
are evaluated: "relative to the patch" for the naked, "relative to Pd"
for the "std"-decorated versions of the options. There's nothing about
scope in the help file (and I'm currently not taking into account how
declare works in reality, as that is deliberatly restricted in 0.41)

> Tcl has namespaces that can be used across procedure/class, provided
> you import them into procedure/class.  I suppose Pd could have that
> too, so you could set dependencies across a whole project.  But I
> don't see this as being especially useful in Pd, and it would add
> complexity.
>
> If I write an objectclass (aka abstraction), I only want to have to
> think about what libs that objectclass needs.  I don't want to think
> about how those libs related to other files in the project at that
> point.  Having the local namespace per objectclass/abstraction allows
> for this.

Agreed. But it seems that's not what [declare] does ATM or was intended
to do when Miller wrote it, while [import] was designed to do it, IIR.
Lets not confuse the two.

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht