[PD-dev] the future of [declare] and canvas_savedeclarationsto()

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 22 22:06:14 CEST 2008

To quote the whole text:

  Avoid  using  this function. It is broken by design since (unless
using the non-
  standard resolved_path == NULL feature) it is impossible to
determine a suitable
  size  for the output buffer, resolved_path.  According to POSIX a
buffer of size
  PATH_MAX suffices, but PATH_MAX need not be a defined constant, and
may have  to
  be obtained using pathconf().  And asking pathconf() does not
really help, since
  on the one hand POSIX warns that the  result  of  pathconf()  may
be  huge  and
  unsuitable  for mallocing memory. And on the other hand pathconf()
may return -1
  to signify that PATH_MAX is not bounded.

I think whoever wrote that man page is really splitting hairs there,
the FreeBSD/Mac OS X man page has no complaints about it.  They are
complaining that PATH_MAX _might_ not be defined.  But on GNU/Linux,
MinGW, and FreeBSD/Mac OS X, FILENAME_MAX _is_ defined.  So just use
FILENAME_MAX to allocate the buffer that realpath() uses (which was
already happening anyway in s_main.c, but with MAXPDSTRING instead).
It's a widely implemented POSIX function, how much more standard do
you want? ;)

I think that Pd should give reliable information in the publically
defined API (ok, s_stuff.h, but still).  For example, it makes life
easier in a lot of ways if you can count on sys_libdir being an
absolute path, rather than making every other bit of code that might
every use a path that is based on sys_libdir check to make sure that
it is indeed absolute.  The vast majority of the time, sys_libdir is
an absolute path, and AFAIK, on Windows it is always an absolute path.

.hc

----