[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-1971585 ] Enhanced Path and Startup dialogs

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed May 28 18:40:24 CEST 2008

SourceForge.net wrote:
> Initial Comment:
> Enhanced the Path and Startup dialogs to use Tk listbox widgets.
>
> Ran into frustration with a max of 10 total startup paths and 10 total startup commands, as well as general low level of usability for these controls.  Since they haven't been significantly changed in about 5 years or more, they seem to warrant an update.
>
> These dialogs now support an arbitrarily long list of startup paths and commands.  Other features include drag-and-drop reordering of path/startup items, consolidation of "Save all settings" button into the "apply" function, path browser for locating startup paths, and keyboard bindings for easy editing (Enter to change, Delete to delete, up and down arrows for navigation).
>
> Before submitting, I vetted this project with members of the Pd community, and it received a sound approval from everyone who tried it.  I also incorporated feedback as it was given.  Please consider this patch for addition into the pd "vanilla" trunk.  Thank you!

i just tried pd-extended (20080528) and i like the new dialogs but have
some remarks (sorry for being so late)
- double-clicking on the Startup (library) field yields an error "grab
failed: window not viewable" (was this the bug already reported by hans?)
- when adding a library, it opens a window titled "add new startup
command"; i think this is confusing, it should rather say something
along the lines "add new startup library"
- adding an entry at the beginning is still complicated: selecting the
first line and clicking on "new..." will add a second entry (_below_ the
clicked one)
  all other list-boxes i know will add the entry _above_ and allow to
click on an empty line at the bottom to append things.
- the centering on the middle desktop is a bit weird on dual-monitor
setups (i think this has also been reported by hans or someone else)

apart from that, i like it quite a lot.

fmgasdr
IOhannes