[PD-dev] setup() for hex loader

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 28 18:46:01 CEST 2008

On May 28, 2008, at 5:13 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On May 28, 2008, at 1:28 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> I think you can guess which one I think is good ;)  the multi-
>> objectclass library file format seems to cause a lot more
>> problems  than it solves.
>
> the key is: have your own opinion, but allow a variety of opinions...
>
>> We could also switch to gcc on Windows, then we wouldn't have to
>> work  about M$VC oddness, unless someone really wants to.  gcc was
>> been  building Pd-extended for years now.
>
> again, the key is: have your own opinion, but allow a variety of
> opinions...
>
> why should i not use a commercial compiler if it produces better
> code, e.g. icc (i don't say that M$VC produces better code)
>
> apart from that, the same thing is also possible with M$VC, you
> just have to specify it differently. i think it is via _DLL_InitTerm
> () or the like.
> the "__attribute__ ((constructor))" is really a gcc extension. it
> should not be used in platform independent code...

I am not saying that people shouldn't do it. I am saying those of us
who use gcc should not feel compelled to support everyone else's
options.  If someone wants to maintain M$VC, I won't stop them.  I am
just saying, we can easily use only gcc.

Same goes for the library formats.  I don't use multi-class
libraries, I think they cause a lot of problems, and add a lot of
unneeded complexity.  But I've never stopped anyone else from using
them.

.hc

>> Sure, makes sense to be system-wide.  I don't really have a good
>> grasp on the implementation details, how hard would it be to add
>> this  to Pd?
>
> within Pd it should be a couple of lines.
> in an external loader it would be a couple of more lines (as we
> have to find and open the library again) plus the glue.
>
> nfvasdr
> IOhannes

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic