[PD-dev] changing [declare -stdpath] behavior

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 29 00:34:43 CEST 2008

On GNU/Linux and Windows, -stdpath work like this: [declare -
stdpath ../extra/<somedir>].  On Mac OS X, you need to omit the
"../", i.e. [declare -stdpath extra/<somedir>].  Since that means
that [declare] with -stdpath has broken behavior, I want to suggest a
change that would make it more intuitive but would break on all
platforms:

Right now, I don't see any reason why -stdpath should include the "../
extra" part.  Since all externals have been included in "pd/extra" by
convention for a long time, it seems to me that it would make the
most sense to make -stdpath relative to "/path/to/pd/extra".  (I
remember many years ago some people using an 'externs' folder, but I
haven't seen/heard that in years).  This would make the above
[declare] like this:

[declare -stdpath <somedir>]

I think the same would apply to -stdlib:

[declare -stdlib <somedir>]

----

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.