[PD-dev] Messaging between Pd and GUI

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 03:28:37 CEST 2008

Sam,
I don't know if you have seen this, but have you heard about Paradiddle? It
has been around for sometime, now, and sounds like what you are describing.

http://lindsay.at/work/pd/paradiddle.html

While it is Mac Specific, it could tell you what you need to know about
connecting your gui up to Pd.

Mike

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Tarakajian, Samuel <
Samuel_Tarakajian at brown.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> So I trying to develop what amounts to a new implementation of the Pd GUI.
>  The first step was of course to remove the old GUI, which is actually a lot
> simpler than I thought.  Pd can actually be launched with a -nogui flag,
> which keeps the gui from opening.  Even more excellently, Pd can be launched
> with the guiport flag, which tells Pd to listen for input from a GUI
> outputting to the specified socket.
>
> The problem is that I have no idea where to get started on learning how Pd
> communicates with the GUI.  All I know is that messages are sent back and
> forth over a socket, typically 5400.  The source code is fairly
> impenetrable; what would really be nice is if someone could point me towards
> what I need to look at to figure out how the Pd-GUI message system works.
>  If there is a guide, or if someone could tell me where to focus my attack
> on the source code, that would be great.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Sam

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician