[PD-dev] compiling FLEXT vst~ on Macintosh

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 7 22:17:53 CEST 2008

Hi all,

For a music production I had to compile vst~ for OSX in Flext.  I noticed
that there is already code in "vsthost.cpp" that seems to try to load vst
plug-ins in the form of "carbon" code resources (search for FSPathMakeFSSpec)
but I found no compiled vst~ in Pd-extended, nor does anyone on the list
seem to think this exists.

I adapted the code so that it loads macho vst plug-ins.  It seems to work,
except that, in the help patch, when I try to open the editing window
nothing comes up.  I suspect this has to do with something other than
vst~ proper but haven't looked into it since I don't know how the editor
stuff is supposed to work.

Before I go on and submit this as a formal patch, I'd like to know if anyone
knows whether the carbon code should be kept around (do there still exist
vst plugins in carbon taht are worth trying to support?) and whether I should
look harder to figure out why the editing window in the help file doesn't
open.  For anyone curious, grab the patch (vst-OSX.patch) and/or the
cmopiled extern (vst~.pd_darwin) from http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/tmp/ .

cheers
Miller