[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2004979 ] hid defaults to debugging (flood of "hid_get_events")

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jul 7 18:03:54 CEST 2008

On Jun 29, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> On Jun 29, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>> Though there is a larger question lurking here: What should trunk be
>>> and how should bug reporters check, if a bug may be already
>>> fixed? Or
>>> in short: What is the reference repository: some branches or the
>>> trunk? To me, trunk was that reference version (and for the
>>> record: to
>>> me it is for bug reports regarding my stuff, unless the reports are
>>> branch-specific). But if you regard pd-extended branches as
>>> reference
>>> for your externals, I'll take note of that for future reports.
>>
>> Trunk is the reference, but during a release cycle, I am following
>> the practice laid out by a number of other projects of focusing all
>> my work on the release branch.  Then once the release is done, I'll
>> merge those changes into trunk.  Otherwise, it is a lot of work
>> maintaining changes in two branches at the same time.
>
> That's perfectly fine. Maybe I should rephrase the question to: When
> to close bugs?
>
> If I encounter a bug, I first update my checkout to the latest version
> of the trunk, recompile, and if the bug still is there, I go to the
> bug report page and look, if there is an open bug report regarding it.
> Mabye I'll also search the mailing list. In this case I didn't find a
> bug report, and in the archive I saw you asking for a report. So I sat
> down and wrote one. It was closed some minutes later because there is
> a branch that doesn't have the bug anymore.
>
> Now someone else may come along, do the same thing as I did, but now
> there is no open bug report anymore so she may go through the same
> procedure again.
>
> Anyway, no need to further pursue this issue in this petty case, but
> in general I'd prefer if bug reports would stay open until they are
> fixed in the main branch i.e. the trunk to avoid duplicate reports.

Bug reports should be closed when they don't need any more
attention.  When reporting bugs, ideally people would also search
closed reports to see if the issue has ever been reported or if there
has been any work or discussion related to this issue.  "Closed"
should not be a synonym for "Complete".  There is a separate pull-
down menu for that, with states like "Accepted" for patches and
"Fixed" for bugs.

So instead of searching only "Open" status, I encourage everyone to
search with "Any" status.

.hc