[PD-dev] svn:externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jul 9 06:01:01 CEST 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>>> Since then I realised that svn:externals is indeed a not-so-good
>>> idea. Today I removed my svn:externals link and switched to a
>>> regular copy using svn import.
>> could you elaborate on why you now find that svn:externals are a
>> not-so-good idea?
>
> Because what if someone wants to make a branch out of all of the
> stuff in pd/externals ... then pd/externals/gridflow won't be
> branched, and that person won't be able to patch it. Well, there
> are already branches like that, and the same applies to tags. I
> thought that this is what Hans wanted me to understand but he
> didn't explain it. In any case, this is what I eventually
> understood from his original comment on svn:externals.

That's a good reason, but I didn't realize it before.  Thanks for
pointing it out.  Also, using svn:externals means that to do
operations on source, all of the repositories have to be working fine
in order for it to work.  For example, on svn:externals link had a
invalid certificate, causing an error which broke the auto-build.
Ok, so you can accept the cert permanently.  But since it was a self-
generated cert, there is a good chance of it being regenerated.

This adds a source of problems without a whole lot of benefit, IMHO.

----

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste