[PD-dev] closing bugs (was Re: [ pure-data-Bugs-2004979 ] hid defaults to debugging (flood of "hid_get_events"))

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jul 11 05:16:18 CEST 2008

On Jul 10, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>> Hallo,

>>> A bug that is "Closed" can not be(come) "Fixed" anymore.
>>

>> hmm, technically it can (on the sf tracker); but i guess you are
>> rather
>> referring to the social aspects of it.
>
> Yes. To me, "Closed" means that an issue doesn't need any more work.
> This can mean that it's tested and fixed, that it won't be fixed, that
> is is invalid, a duplicate etc. But the main feature of bugs marked
> "Closed" to me is, that no further work is needed in this issue, and
> "Open" bugs are bugs that still need one or more Actions to be
> performed.
>
> The bug in question is fixed in a branch, but what was still left to
> do was to apply that fix to the trunk. After that the report would be
> closed. I don't understand what is gained by closing a report when
> there is still work pending, however minor that may be? (And
> personally I don't think, a bug fix missing from trunk is that minor,
> but that's another story.) An open bug report is just a little
> reminder and it doesn't hurt anyone.  At least I hope it doesn't ...

The "Open", "Pending", and "Closed" states have to do with attention,
not the state of the bug.  If someone reports a bug, then no dev can
reproduce it, I would not say that this bug is fixed.  But I do think
it is appropriate to set that bug to "Pending" asking for an example
patch.  If no one is willing to follow up on it, then it'll be closed
in two weeks automatically.  So that would be "Closed" but definitely
not "Fixed".

It is an important distinction in managing all of the bugs.  It is
the best way I can think of for keeping track of which bug reports
need developer attention.

.hc