[PD-dev] closing bugs (was Re: [ pure-data-Bugs-2004979 ] hid defaults to debugging (flood of "hid_get_events"))

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 11 10:32:24 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> The "Open", "Pending", and "Closed" states have to do with attention,
> not the state of the bug.  If someone reports a bug, then no dev can

indeed, and thus frank is right when requesting that a bug should not be
set to "Closed" when it still needs attention (e.g. merge it back from
one branch into the main trunk).

the same goes for patches: if there is a bug-report about bug-#123 and
there is also a patch that closes this bug, this does (imo) not qualify
to close the bug-report as long as the upstream author has not included
the patch yet.

> reproduce it, I would not say that this bug is fixed.  But I do think
> it is appropriate to set that bug to "Pending" asking for an example
> patch.  If no one is willing to follow up on it, then it'll be closed
> in two weeks automatically.  So that would be "Closed" but definitely
> not "Fixed".

right again.
the (prelaminary) "resolution" should probably be "works for me" or
"invalid".

i think that the correct state of bug#2004979 would be "Open" and "Fixed"

> It is an important distinction in managing all of the bugs.  It is
> the best way I can think of for keeping track of which bug reports
> need developer attention.

and as your bug still needs attention it should be open.
but i am repeating myself.

good night,
fgmasdr
IOhannes