[PD-dev] sms pd external - design choices

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jul 19 19:19:21 CEST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

>>> How do you get [print] to print a peachy string?
>> in the way we (including miller) kind of agreed at LAC2008 the answer
>> is simple: you don't.
> I'd be more worried about what to do when arbitrary atom-type-agnostic
> objects keep copies of my atoms around long after my world has
> deallocated the memory pointed to, and what to do when those expired
> atoms come back into my world...

Well, I'd be more worried about that too, but the thing is, I wanted to
probe with a simple issue that has an obvious solution, and if everybody
at LAC «kind of agreed» to Miller's not-giving-a-damn answer, nothing is
going to be happening with a can-of-wormsish issue like memory allocation
handling that potentially involves the interface to externals and all of
the source code of all externals.