[PD-dev] arbitrary atom types (was Re: sms pd external - design choices)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 21 09:09:56 CEST 2008

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>> Quoting Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>:
>>> How do you get [print] to print a peachy string?
>> in the way we (including miller) kind of agreed at LAC2008 the answer
>> is simple: you don't.
>
> Perhaps you don't, but I do print my A_LIST atoms right fucking now
> using an object called [print], in Miller's Pd, instead of agreeing with
> things that can either crash pd or make it do something undefined that
> has nothing to do with printing the contents of the string.

so how do you fookin' do it?

> All this resignation must be bringing you closer to God...

yes.

> Yeah, well, I agree with your type registry idea, and I shall remember
> not to go to anything like LAC for the number of pd developers. It's a
> kind of reflex that I have to fight. I would have to go to LAC for any

i think this is a good decision; if you do want to talk about Pd then
you should go to Pd~con or ICMC or another computer-music oriented meeting.
LAC used to be a lot about soundcard drivers and new tools/applications,
none of which is a category Pd really falls into; i had the impression
that a lot of old-school LACers where a bit overwhelmed (and probably
frustrated) by the LAC2008 because of the focus on Pd (but then i was a
bit frustrated by the focus on SC3 at LAC2007, esp. as many
presentations were done on os-x with a remark "ah, this doesn't yet work
on linux"); LAC2008 was still great (but i am not an ol-skool LACer)

mfga.sdr
IOhannes