[PD-dev] arbitrary atom types (was Re: sms pd external - design choices)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 21 22:44:51 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> >LAC used to be a lot about soundcard drivers and new tools/applications,
> >none of which is a category Pd really falls into; i had the impression
> >that a lot of old-school LACers where a bit overwhelmed (and probably
> >frustrated) by the LAC2008 because of the focus on Pd
>
> So, why does it switch around from ... to SC3 to Pd to ...?

People might get this impression because LAC2007 was co-organized by
well-known SC3 users Stefan Kersten and Marije Baalman, while LAC2008
was co-organized by me.

But I think, this impression isn't correct: I attended every LAC since
the first one. As Pd of course is one of the most important pieces of
software in the Linux Audio community, it has played a major role in
every LAC before (well, maybe not the first one).

This year we invited Miller for the keynote but ever other Pd user
came without special invitation or financial support from LAC (We paid
musicians a rather symbolic fee, but it was nothing compared to what
you managed for pd~conv.)

Music and talks were selected by review boards, which consisted mostly
of the same people as the year(s) before and which IMO wasn't biased,
but instead had people from all major "camps" in it: experts for
CSound, Pd, SC, ALSA, Jack, computer music in general etc.

But as Graz is close (flight-wise) to Cologne, IEM was there in full
effect, and Hans had a talk at LAC, too, so organizing an informal
meeting was only natural. Btw. I couldn't attend it neither.

Ciao